In order to obtain a marriage license the following requirements must be met:
- Both must apply for the license in-person.
- Both must be 18 years old or older
- Both must present an acceptable form of identification, such as a driver’s license, government issued picture ID, or passport.
- There is a $35.50 fee for the license.
NOTE: The marriage license is valid anywhere in the Commonwealth of Kentucky, is valid for 30 days (including the date issued), and there is no waiting period, blood test, or physical requirements.
The following requirements must be met prior to issuing a marriage license if applicant is 17 years of age:
- A minor who is 17 years of age may petition the Family Court in the county which the minor resides for an order granting permission to marry.
- At least 15 days must have elapsed since the court order was granted before applying for the marriage license.
- A certified copy of the court order must be presented when applying for the marriage license.
*Kentucky does not marry minors if either party is under 17 years of age.
NOTE: Kentucky does not marry minors whose parents reside outside of the Commonwealth of Kentucky.
For questions, please call (859) 334-2276.